Thursday, February 16, 2012

What can you say about Clarke's at South Station on a Friday at 5 pm? It really, really crowded and really really loud; so much so that you can't hear your companions speaking once you hit a certain age. This is a lot of people grabbing drinks, etc. before they get on their trains to the suburbs.

We are lucky enough to get a booth which makes ordering manhattans a little more challenging. The cute blonde waitress just gives me the blank stare when I ask what kind of bourbon they have. I offer a hint - Maker's Mark. Yes, we have that. Would you mind asking what else you have? The basics - Maker's, Johnny Walker something...nothing else that really rocked my world. That said, the manhattan with Maker's Mark was not bad.

The nachos, on the other hand, were pretty dreadful in the looks and and taste department. Shouldn't nachos come with beans and guacamole? These had neither. It's basically chips with melted cheese, some hot pepper slices which I remove, salsa and sour cream on the side. In their defense though, these guys used to serve a decent hamburger so try to remember that next time.

My companion pays so you have to be grateful for that plus catching up with her is lovely. Around 6/615 the place empties out and I can hear again. Pretty shortly after that she hops on her train to hubby and kids in the 'burbs.

No comments: