Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Martini from Sagra

This Hendricks Gin Martini with cucumber martini was procured at Sagra in Davis Square Somerville. This place has been through a couple of incarnations in recent years; current one has been open for a year or so. Slight confusion upon arrival when we told the hostess we were just going to sit in the bar. No two seats together so we get a table. Waitress comes over and, when she discovered that we had no menus, went off to get them. She came back and told us the table was reserved. Tables in bar (up a few steps from the dining room) are part of the dining room. Back to the hostess who points out the one table in the bar that is not reserved and say it's fine. Just then two people get up to leave the bar (almost always my preferred place to sit because you can chat up the bartender) and we say we'll sit there.

Bartender provides all kind of menus - drinks, wine, bar menu, regular menu. Guess what? Asking for unblended rye works! They have none and have a limited menu of bourbons so I get the martini. My friend gets a glass of wine and some croquettes (makes me want to make chicken croquettes). These were meatless, fried (but not greasy) triangles of a cheese/breadcrumb mix. Not bad but not anything to rave about either. I think total bill was around $24.

Bargain hunters, there's a special flight of martinis and a flight of wine - 3 four ounce drinks each for $10. Martinis are made from vodka and are their choice but the bartender said he could do something with gin too.

2 comments:

Forest said...

i like the idea of the flight of martinis (I like the idea of flights of cocktails to give a range to sample without having to get a bunch of full drinks) But, am i misreading (i am a bit tired today)...three 4 ounce drinks seems like a lot...is the flight to be shared? i'm assuming they are serious martinis in which you'll be getting several ounces of booze? three of my martinis would knock my friends on their butts!

Manhattans in Boston said...

Most bars in Boston (US in general, I think) are into what I call the "big gulp" drinks - 8 oz. Yes, 8 oz. I usually order my martinis very dry so it is almost all gin. I never have more than one when I'm out after an embarrassing episode or two. So if you look at the flight in terms of those larger sizes, you get a drink and a half. I believe 4 oz. cocktails was the original size when they were all being invented.