Sunday, March 7, 2010

Krumkake



You need a special device to make these lovely little Scandanavian version of a pizzelle. They are thinner and lighter in texture than pizzelles.

I am lucky enough to have found my device in an antique store several years ago and got the recipe from my mother. We are Italians so don’t ask me how she got her machine, much less ever heard of these things.

Anyway, the recipe is very simple – flour, sugar, eggs, butter. milk and flavoring (I used almond for these). You always end up throwing the first one out since it preps the surface a bit for the rest of the cookies but almost always falls apart when you remove it from the iron. You have to experiment with how long you leave it over the heat (recipe says 1-1.5 minutes but I ended up at 2-2.5 to get the darker color. My smoke detectors are super sensitive so, of course, they all started screeching at some point.


These came out a little thicker and heavier but I think a little more milk would solve that problem.

No comments: