Thursday, July 16, 2009

Deep Ellum, Allston


Sometimes you just have to get out of your comfort zone. After standing on the Green Line train for an interminably long time, I finally got to a T stop somewhat close to Deep Ellum (Cambridge Street, Allston). Then walked for a bit. So I was ready to think that this was just not one of those times to get out of my comfort zone (i.e., Red Line). I walk into a pretty dimly lit place, thinking it's one or two steps up from a dive bar. Don't see my friend. Quick call to her and head out to the tiny but oh, so pleasant patio with 8-10 tables, where she is patiently waiting. Or maybe not so patiently, she is three-quarters of the way finished with her drink but quickly points out a crucial section of the drink menu. Down in the bottom, right corner is a heading called "Manhattans - 8 ways." Yes, folks, you heard it correctly. Half with rye, a couple with bourbon and a couple with blends



I inquire to the very competent waitress about the Brooklyn. It is made with Old Overholt Rye and a housemade vermouth. We take a minute or two to look at the menu while she gets my drink. It arrives promptly. My only gripe is that the drink is not sufficiently chilled but it is just about the most perfect drink I have experienced. Second only to and maybe not even second to the Southern Manhattan from Jurys in Boston. It is obviously stirred and the taste is perfect. Smooth as can be with just a hint of bitter orange vermouth.

Cheese plate? OK, it's Bastille Day so we get that and ask them to split the summer vegetable pasta.



Cheese plate arrives and is quite nice. The blue cheese and the stilton with mango are the winners. The harder cheese...meh. There are candied almonds, pitted olives and a dried citrusy fruit combination and several slices of good bread. The summer vegetable pasta has yellow squash, peas, asparagus, cherry tomotoes and penne with a cream sauce. Vegetables are all crispy, sauce has been, perhaps, a bit too heavily seasoned with pepper.

My friend gets a coffee which she reports to be weaker than she would like (Deep Ellum serves no tea or decaf) and a brownie with a strawberry banana concoction that is more like a thick smoothie than an ice cream. My one bite was tasty enough.

This is definitely what I would call a low key crowd, kind of hippy-ish. Does anyone besides me still use that term? Boys with long hair, girls with no make up. Mix of ages but my friend and I are probably the oldest (and best dressed having both just come from work) two there. Bill for all came to $53. My drink was $9; the cheese plate and the pasta were $12 each. Didn't pay too much attention to the rest.

Result is that I will have to suffer the Green Line 7 more times while I work my way through the eight manhattans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rather than suffering the Green line you can take the 66 bus from Harvard Square, which has the advantage of stopping less than half a block from Deep Ellum rather than giving you the longish walk from Harvard & Commonwealth.

Manhattans in Boston said...

Thank you anonymous. I did see a lot of buses about the area just haven't had time to check mbta.com.

Forest said...

mmm...both the drink and the cheese plate sound very nice! (and, nah, I use the word "hippy-ish" too - dunno if it's just us two...) :)