Friday, March 20, 2009

Is it red or is it Russo's?

Here's a red-skinned bosc pear I bought at Russo's. I just got around to eating it (6 days after purchase); probably too long to have waited under normal circumstances. Pears can get too soft and a little mealy/gritty tasting if you leave them too long. But this one maintained its texture, was sweet and very juicy (not dribbling down your chin juicy which I hate). So the question is, is that because of the red skin (type) or Russo's (point of purchase)?

2 comments:

BFW (Tammy) said...

I bought the SAME pears.... AND I let them sit a few days too many as well. You are right... they held their texture perfectly. Don't you just love that place!

Manhattans in Boston said...

Just wish Russo's was closer to me. So many unusual things (and usual ones that are just so much better). This will be one of those places where I make my meal plan ahead of time and then shop with that in mind as oppose to the ad hoc routine of buying too much and then trying to figure out what to do with it. Thank goodness for Debbie Myer's green bags!