Saturday, March 28, 2009

Manhattan #6


The main reason we went to McCormick & Schmick's in Fanueil Hall was because of the happy hour prices for food in the bar. The place is crowded and noisy but it's a Friday night. We get a table instead of sitting at the bar. This is our first mistake. I ask the waitress what they have for a manhattan. Maker's Mark is all I hear because she turns her head away from me. So I get this drink with Basil Hayden (finally heard that name on the third time I asked her to tell me what was available because she insisted on turning away from me when she spoke). My friend got a bloody mary with Bombay (not Sapphire).









He gets a pizza and I get the cheeseburger pictured here; both for $1.95. And yes, that comes with fries. We get no silverware so I ask the person who brings the food for some. She catches the eye of the waitress who eventually brings napkins and silverware. I thank her in my sweetest voice (yes, I do have one). "Yeah." That's her reply. Yeah? Are you familiar with the term you're welcome?

She ever comes back to the table to ask if everything is OK and my friend's drink is emptied and the glass just sits there. As she passes the next table, she knocks the woman's coat off the chair. Just walks right past it. The woman has to pick it up herself. My friend is getting more annoyed with her (and with me because I'm ready to explode). The waitress comes to the table, picks up his empty drink and plate and picks up my plate which still had food on it. Doesn't ask if we are done, doesn't ask if she can get us anything else. She drops the check on the table. My drink gets left half full because we have decided to go down to Kingfish Hall (guess it's my week for Todd English). I say I'm going to complain. My friend says he's going to wait outside. Fine. So I ask for the manager and explain the situation. He gives me our money back and apologizes profusely.

This time my manhattan is with Woodford Reserve. Foamy again like the one above. My friend's friend who works there explains that it's because of vigorous shaking. Not really sure I buy that explanation but I will experiment at home. And he advises me to ask for non-blended ryes is I don't want to hear the list of Canadian whiskeys.

No comments: