Sunday, November 29, 2009

DaVinci Ristorante, Boston

Dinner deal at DaVinci was too good to resist: $33.09 for three course on the full menu. Of course, we start out with the standard, "Do you have unblended rye?" When the waiter comes back and replies, "Yes," I almost burst out laughing. Need to rephrase that to "What kind of unblended rye do you have?" So he goes back to the bar and the bartender comes over and tries to tell me that Makers Mark and Basil Hayden are rye. They're not, are they? Have I been confused and mistaken and obnoxious all this time....probably yes, but not about this. So we discuss my drink a little and I order a Basil Hayden perfect manhattan. I see him, over the divider between the table we are sitting at and the bar area, shaking away. AARRGGHH! He brings back my drink and instead of leaving, he wants to know how my drink is. What I wanted to say was it would be a whole lot better if you just got this disgusting looking foam off of it. But I take a sip and say, "Thank you. It's very good.
First course is crab cakes with a red onion, apple and arugula slaw type concoction on the side. These people are really into long plates with swirls of yellow pepper mayonaisse. Not a problem as these crab cakes were quite good.
The waiter highly recommended the braised pork and he did not do me wrong. It came with saffron risotto and broccoli rabe. Meat just fell off the bone and the risotto...let's just say, I'm still dreaming about this stuff.
Another long plate for the chocolate souffle which came in a separate cup from the vanilla ice cream. Brilliant! Sometime during dessert, I see our waiter come out of the kitchen, pass the hostess desk with a dish on fire. He runs out into the street. As we leave, I ask and he says he's OK but you could tell he was quite shaken up.

1 comment:

Forest said...

I, too, am now dreaming about your pork dish! (bad time to be reading this because I'm trying to hold off on eating as I'm going to a friend's for dinner in a couple of hours, but I'm starving now!)