Monday, November 23, 2009

Food from Ikea (or Ikeatini the easy way)

I'm on a bit of a retail binge (no more underemployment for me: technically, I am still underemployed; the definition being that you have a job but they are not using you to your full potential. You can get the work done in about 2 or 3 hours instead of 8. Pay is not quite what I wanted but it's not unemployment). So here we have the food items I bought on my last trip to Ikea - cinnamon buns (always delicious), candy bars (ditto), a couple of cheeses - Swedish fontina and some baby swiss-ish type cheese that had no English name on the wrapper, crackers (meh, had some odd taste to them so won't be buying them again) and les pieces de resistance. Two bottle of drink concentrate. The first is fladersaft (elderberry flower) and the second is, yes, you guessed it, lingonsaft (lingonberry). I have been experimenting with both of these. Ikeatini, you already know. But I have tried the fladersaft in martinis and manhattans. I need a little more experimentation with amount for a martini. The first resulted in a barely discernible flavor and the second in a bit too tart flavor. Now a little dash of fladersaft in a Maker's Mark manhattan was a revelation; resulting in a manhattan that was as potent as I like them but light and clean tasting.

No comments: